Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Please!

Sunday, Daniel had to work so Duke and I just went to church at South West Park where several of my family and loved ones go. Anyway, when we pulled in my dad (Grandy Randy) pulled in the parking lot five min. late also. Upon getting beloved grandson out of my car, we discovered the dire need for a diaper change before heading into the sanctuary. Most of my experience at this church was in high school with a friend whose youth group played hide and seek in the dark in the building. It didn't matter then, but the fact remains that i cannot navigate inside of that building to save my life!!! So many corners and halls. Anyway after Dad, Duke and I walked all over the place followed by a deacon sparying a can of Lysol (totally kidding) we finally found a nursery with a changing table for me to change Duke. My Dad informed me that he is faster at me at changing diapers, but seeing as how one of my earliest memories is him asking me to change my baby sister's BAD diaper, that remains to be seeen.
Now, I mentioned in earlier posts that Duke has learned to sign 'please.' He is now quite profecient at it and uses it any time he wants anything--which ends up being quite a bit. Now, in Duke's 15 months of life we have NEVER left him in a church nursery. He has always gone with us into church and almost always slept on us through the service. This time after his diaper change he looked over and saw all the toddlers playing with cool toys and signed 'please' over and over again. At this point Grandpa took him and headed down the hall--I guess Grandy doesn't understand baby sign language... Nonetheless, I was puzzled by the reality that my baby is turning into a kid. He could care less where we were going, he isn't shy, he wanted to play with the kids. I got the message loud and clear. Since my dad was headed out with Duke I just followed behind thinking to myself a big long exagerated "huhhh????". I worked in nuseries for 10 years before I had Duke. Kids were clinging onto their moms for dear life and instead left in a poopy smelling, overcrowded unfamiliar place surrounded by strangers saying "it's ok", "it's ok", "it's ok". I could see it all over their faces. They were thinking, "no, this is not ok!!!" But this time it's as if my little extravert was looking into my nervous face saying "it's ok" "it's ok" "it's ok" I guess this gives me a week to get used to the idea. Looks like Mr. Duke is ready to go to sunday school. We may continue taking him during church because we like the idea of the family being together for worship, but I guess we'll see. I used to teach two year old sunday school at one particular church and to tell the truth i liked it more than my age sunday school so I can't say I blame him. I better brace myself for this "letting go" phrase that rolls off many wise grandmother's tongues. What a delicate balance of letting go and embaracing; of patience and passion.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know ya'll had a blog! Yea! Ours is cliffandjess.blogspot.com. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete