Friday, March 13, 2009

First Post


Well, as of today my extremely electronically inclined husband gave me, (his electronically uninclined wife) a tutorial in blogging. I know, I know, I keep hearing: "there's nothing to it!" Well, here's the deal: Being the daughter of a computer genius and the wife of another computer genius, I have come to learn that there is just no sense in waisting time trying to figure it out on my own. I'll take the tutorial thanks. Someday I'll have a cool, impressive background too. That's when you'll know that I must have recieved tutorial #2.

Alrighty, I also feel inclined to comment/explain the name of our blog. Sorry for the false hopes everyone, but I am not pregnant. I do however have one darling little boy who i plan on writing a lot about. Someday in the future we hope to have more little darlings. When that day comes, i should like to avoid getting the refresher course of creating a blog...SO if it's just the same to you, we are going to call this blog: Decker Babies... so stay tuned.

The last two weeks have been astounding in Duke's little world. We finally have a toddler! A piece of advice Daniel's mom gave me several months ago is not to push Duke or fret to see him walk by "dr. Spock's goal" or whomever. Little did she know that at the ripe ol' age of 15 months Duke would finally decide to give walking a chance. He still finds crawling to be his preferred mode of locomotion; i suppose both for it's effeciency (after six months of crawling this boy is FAST!) as well as it's stability. His poor little knees are calloused...you think i am joking, but I AM NOT! To feel his leg from his hip to his toes it would go something like this: silky smooth, silky smooth, sandpaper, back to silky smooth, and then toesies. I just love watching him walk though. So proud of him! He looks so tall and old, and for him he loves to see Daddy and I cheer! He also has gotten three theeth in the last two weeks. That's another thing, he has been toothless for 14 months! Then, to throw us off he got the top two in before the bottom. In all my life, I really don't think I've ever seen a child get in the top teeth before the bottom. We called him snaggle tooth for a few days before the neighbor poked through the surface. He is just such a cutie. You'll just have to excuse me for bragging a little here and there. Also, in the last two weeks he has learned how to sign 'please.' This has been nice especially for mommy because it has cut down on the desperate "uuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhmmmmmmmm"s. Praise the Lord!

He is Mr. Adventure that's for sure. The cold weather has been hard on him. He just stands at the dining room windows and points out side at his swing or the grass. He has even tried scratching on the door like our dog Jax. Speaking of that, we have been convinced lately that Duke thinks he is a dog. Let me explain: He barks (oh yes, very often. If Jax starts, Duke joins in. When people asking me what new words he has learned I have to admit that he does a lot more barking than he does speaking or signing.), he loves crawling in Jax's kennel and snuggling in Jax's bed (yes, I let him, he is a boy, not a dainty little girl. I know he will be into much dirt, grime and mud to come.So it's just preparation). Keeping Duke out of the dogfood and dogwater has been an ongoing battle, that sadly for him, Mommy still wins. He also loves chewing on Jax's chew sticks and playing tug of war with Jax's stuffed dogtoys. Of all things it is strange that he thinks he's a dog. If anything he should think he's a monkey. You are probably confused right now, it's just that we've always called him a "baby monkey." Thoroughly confusing parents and family, i know.

Now, I'll just tell you a little about my man and Duke's Daddy. This is one of his first days to have a complete day off in a long time. He just finished the reffing season and is home. Perhaps Daniel wasn't sure what to do with himself but i was quite amused at his choice of entertainment. He quietly slipped my cell phone (which he had put on vibrate) under our sleeping dog. Waiting quietly and patiently, Daniel's moment of fun finally came when Jax went into a deep state of sleep. Daniel quietly opened his phone and called mine. He like to laugh his socks off watching poor Jax wake up in a state of panic. Daniel just has jokes sitting in him that he just has to get out. The other evening I got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. Only to walk across what i call poppers lining the bathroom floor (you know, those packing pockets of air that you use to pack breakable things). Pop pop pop pop pop pop under my feet. I guess i'm glad Jax got the brunt of it today! Daniel is always making me laugh. I have a wonderful family, thank you Lord. Thanks for taking enough interest in our family to care about all our silly stories. If you enjoyed them, then stay tuned!

The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3

1 comment:

  1. Cute, Katie. This is the same background JoCarol used for a while. Daniel is going to have to show me how to do the Youtube thing.

    I think you guys need to post a Youtube of Duke barking with Jax. He is so cute.

    Love you,
    Aunt Trudy

    ReplyDelete